|Knee Surgery Post-Operative
James Dettling, MD
|Procedure Performed :
- Weight Bearing Status:
- Weight Bearing as Tolerated Operative Extremity
- Partial Weight Bearing Operative Extremity
- Physical Therapy to initiate as ordered
- Remove current dressing and place band-aids over
portal sites 48 hours after your surgical procedure. Leave sutures in
place until removed by a physician.
- You may shower after your procedure, however, you
must keep the operative sight dry until the sutures are removed
approximately one week after surgery.
- Follow up with Dr. Dettling 3-7 days after your
procedure(s) as scheduled.
- Place an ice bag over the operative region. Do not
leave ice bag in place for more than 30 minutes at a time. Remove ice
for a short period (30 minutes) then replace. Keep dressings dry and
clean during this treatment.
- If there is mild drainage identified at the surgical
site/dressing immediately after surgery simply reinforce the dressing
by wrapping a clean dressing over the current dressing. Do not remove
the current dressing unless instructed to do so by a physician. If
significant amount of drainage is identified at the surgical site
please call your surgeon immediately.
- Elevate the operative extremity above the level of your heart after surgery so as to decrease the swelling and ultimately the discomfort in the early post-operative period.
- Crutches and/or a knee immobilizer may be provided depending on the nature of the procedure performed.
Continue to utilize these instruments as directed or until further instructions are provided by Dr. Dettling and/or his staff.
Please not that not all procedures require crutches/immobilization devices post-operatively.
- You may initiate a diet a regular diet as tolerated after your procedure.
We suggest you start slowly with clear liquids and advance you diet as tolerated.
- If there is increased pain, swelling, redness,
drainage, a foul smell originating from the operative site or for any
other questions or concerns regarding your surgical procedure, call our
office immediately (702-877-6781) to speak to a physician.
- Further post-operative instruction may be provided by
the surgical facility staff. Please
adhere to all post-operative instructions given.